Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I don't have an ethernet cord long enough to run from my computer to my router/modem, and I can't move my router/modem because the cable guy only wired it up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    INL
    Just Joined!

I don't have an ethernet cord long enough to run from my computer to my router/modem, and I can't move my router/modem because the cable guy only wired it up to work from one spot in the house.

So... is there anyway I can install kernel-devel without using yum?

Quote Originally Posted by INL
    I don't have an ethernet cord long enough to run from my computer to my router/modem, and I can't move my router/modem because the cable guy only wired it up to work from one spot in the house.

So... is there anyway I can install kernel-devel without using yum?
    Sure you can, just be sure to match your kernel version.

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...y=kernel-devel
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

INL
    Just Joined!
    Okay... a bit of a status update I guess. Yesterday I went ahead and did a clean install of fedora, hard-wired my net for a bit and used this guide, using the rt61 CVS tarball that was up for download last night (as I understand, they update those....frequently). When it's time to configure the hardware (system-config-network), it recognizes the hardware but freezes when I try to activate it. At this point, am I doing something wrong or should I wait for a different version from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads ?

Quote Originally Posted by INL
    it recognizes the hardware but freezes when I try to activate it.
    Which command are you using and which error are you getting?
    Are you using modprobe?

check the output of dmesg
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

INL
    Just Joined!
    Well, on boot when Fedora attempts to ativate it, booting will freeze... booting in interactive mode and bypassing it solves the problem. And after going to system-config-network (the GUI network manager), attempting to click "activate" on it will begin a LONG wait time (never-ending...though I haven't tested it to the ends of time....), and eventually I'll just hit cancel.

Will check the output of dmesg shortly....

EDIT: I did use modprobe to install the driver (as per the instructions on this page: http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/...s-lan-chipset), not sure what it does exactly.

And the dmesg output:

http://rafb.net/p/jCQJFt39.html (the text is too long to fit into one post - if anyone knows a better paste bin/method to get this text on the net, let me know...).

Well, on boot when Fedora attempts to ativate it, booting will freeze
    Use system-config-network to unselect "activate on boot" just for now.

attempting to click "activate" on it will begin a LONG wait time (never-ending...though I haven't tested it to the ends of time....), and eventually I'll just hit cancel.
    This is because it isn't setup correctly and can't obtain an IP.

I did use modprobe to install the driver (as per the instructions on this page: http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/...s-lan-chipset), not sure what it does exactly.
    modprobe is a command for inserting modules (rt2x00), into a running kernel, without the need to reboot.

According to the output of dmesg, the driver did load and I didn't notice any errors. Go through the install again, and right after you do modprobe, issue dmesg again and post it back here.
    Also post these commands
    /sbin/ifconfig
    lsmod
    Is the device showing up in the system-config-network tool?

INL
    Just Joined!
    The device now successfully activates but I fail to connect to the internet. I'm currently using WEP encryption (not sure why but when I disabled that some other computers on the network when down, had to re-enable it via an ethernet port on the router), 64-bit... I assume you don't need to see those commands now?

Hmm... I don't know enough about networking to get this running as it should, are there any programs for linux that can make this a bit easier? (on windows the device will scan for networks, all I specify is one of those networks, the type of encryption and a passphrase... or should I try tinkering around with it until I get it right?

INL
    Just Joined!
    Scratch that... it works

*insert "The Witch is Dead" scene from The Wizard of Oz*

Anywho... now I feel almost obligated to clarify exactly how I got all of this to work...

1. Follow http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/...s-lan-chipset/ all the way through, it's fairly easy to follow. Be sure to use the rt61 cvs for cards version 4.1, the rt600 for cards version 4. You will need to hard-wire your computer to your router/the internet to update your kernel and install kernel-devel. You don't need to update your computer for a 16k stack size when/if your network card freezes your computer....

2. Configuring your information... (on a linksys wireless G router).

Hit status, a lot of the info. you need can be found on that page. Go ahead and open up system-config-network in terminal, entering your root password when prompted....

If you're like me you'll already have the two options set-up to edit, one nicknamed "ra0" and the other "ra0.bak". I got away with only editing the first one; I'm not sure what the second is all about.

General tab:

start on boot- yes
    other two- no
    automatically detect IP address-select, DHCP.
    Hostname: seems to fill itself out, but mine's "192.168.1.1".
    obtain DNS- yes
    MTU- leave unchecked.

Router tab: do nothing
    Hardware device tab: select your device, no alias, your MAC address is on your linksys router status page, then hit probe.
    Wireless settings:
    SSID- it's on your wireless-basic wireless settings page, so specified and fill it in
    Channel: wireless-basic wireless page
    Transmite rate: auto
    Key: If you're using WEP, the key's on your wireless-basic wireless page, you should have entered a passphrase and generated several keys, entered the key that corresponds to the default transmite key (above), with "0x" before it". Those're the main problems I've run into... hope it helps

EDIT: Didn't notice this was a double post, my apologies....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2