Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
EDIT: Solved. Anywho... now I feel almost obligated to clarify exactly how I got all of this to work... 1. Follow http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/...s-lan-chipset/ all the way through, it's fairly easy to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    INL
    Just Joined!

Wmp54g, Fedora Core 6

EDIT: Solved.

Anywho... now I feel almost obligated to clarify exactly how I got all of this to work...

1. Follow http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/...s-lan-chipset/ all the way through, it's fairly easy to follow. Be sure to use the rt61 cvs for cards version 4.1, the rt600 for cards version 4. You will need to hard-wire your computer to your router/the internet to update your kernel and install kernel-devel. You don't need to update your computer for a 16k stack size when/if your network card freezes your computer....

2. Configuring your information... (on a linksys wireless G router).

Hit status, a lot of the info. you need can be found on that page. Go ahead and open up system-config-network in terminal, entering your root password when prompted....

If you're like me you'll already have the two options set-up to edit, one nicknamed "ra0" and the other "ra0.bak". I got away with only editing the first one; I'm not sure what the second is all about.

General tab:

start on boot- yes
    other two- no
    automatically detect IP address-select, DHCP.
    Hostname: seems to fill itself out, but mine's "192.168.1.1".
    obtain DNS- yes
    MTU- leave unchecked.

Router tab: do nothing
    Hardware device tab: select your device, no alias, your MAC address is on your linksys router status page, then hit probe.
    Wireless settings:
    SSID- it's on your wireless-basic wireless settings page, so specified and fill it in
    Channel: wireless-basic wireless page
    Transmite rate: auto
    Key: If you're using WEP, the key's on your wireless-basic wireless page, you should have entered a passphrase and generated several keys, entered the key that corresponds to the default transmite key (above), with "0x" before it". Those're the main problems I've run into... hope it helps

----------------------------------------------------

Hey there, having some trouble getting my linksys WMP54G PCI adapter to work on Fedora Core 6. I admit, I'm a complete Linux noob... with some googling, etc., I managed to set up a dual-boot with FC6 and XP...barely.

But this has me thoroughly confused... I've googled, searched, etc., found some answers, but none really seem to make any sense. If you would... I need a complete step-by-step unabridged guide of how to get this done, assume nothing.

Thanks

Try reading this thread, I don't think it worked for this guy, but you might be able to get it working.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...-adapter.html?
    Try doing a search on these forums for "WMP54G"
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

INL
    Just Joined!
    Maybe I wasn't clear, but I've been having trouble understanding what to do, and yes, I have searched. Even helping me make heads or tails of some already proposed solutions would be helpful... this solution seems the easiest, but I keep getting an error at terminal saying that the file doesn't exist (and I've tried it multiple times, double checked the directory... no dice, but it appears to be there).
    EDIT: Forgot the link, http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...=wmp54g+fedora
    As I said, I need clear, unabridged instructions, because, as aforementioned, I can't make sense of already proposed solutions.

What error are you getting? Which file?
    Post it back here for more help.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

INL
    Just Joined!
    Here's a screenshot of the error...http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2...problemtj2.png

Yeah, that's what I thought it would be. The guide you're reading has some typos in it. He actually wanted you to type this:
    tar -zxvf filename
    Where filename is the exact name of the file.

INL
    Just Joined!
    ah, no wonder <_<... are there any other typos?

EDIT: Okay, I've installed ndiswrapper.... now what? The guide says to find two files on my computer, but... they aren't there/ I don't know where they are.
    EDIT2: I've reasoned that "spin" must be "sbin", but the command still doesn't work... then I realized that ndiswrapper didin't install properly. Here's input/output I get after su and attempting to install it once...

[root@localhost ZackAttack]# make install
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    [root@localhost ZackAttack]# make
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    [root@localhost ZackAttack]# cd ndiswrapper-1.37
    [root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.37]# make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build SUBDIRS=/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i586'
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i586'

*** WARNING: This kernel seems to use 4K stack size option (CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS option, recompile and install kernel

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    make -C utils
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/utils'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/utils'
    [root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.37]# make install
    make -C driver install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build SUBDIRS=/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i586'
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i586'

*** WARNING: This kernel seems to use 4K stack size option (CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS option, recompile and install kernel

echo /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/misc
    /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/misc
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/misc
    install -m 0644 ndiswrapper.ko /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/misc
    /sbin/depmod -a 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 -b /
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    make -C utils install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/utils'
    install -D -m 755 loadndisdriver /sbin/loadndisdriver
    install -D -m 755 ndiswrapper /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
    install -D -m 755 ndiswrapper-buginfo /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo

NOTE: Windows driver configuration file format has changed since 1.5. You must re-install Windows drivers if they were installed before.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ZackAttack/ndiswrapper-1.37/utils'
    mkdir -p -m 0755 /usr/share/man/man8
    install -m 644 ndiswrapper.8 /usr/share/man/man8
    install -m 644 loadndisdriver.8 /usr/share/man/man8
    [root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.37]#
    What should I do now?

You need a 16k stack kernel, and you can download that from here.
    http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader...ernel-i686.php
    Just be sure to match your current running kernel version by using uname -r

INL
    Just Joined!
    I've gotten the .rpm file... but how do I update my kernel with that?

EDIT: Okay, I think I've gotten the new kernel configured correctly... I unzipped it, typed rpm -ihv <directory>, then double clicked on the rpm file, and rebooted. BUT... when I try to install ndiswrapper, I get an error:
    [root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.27]# make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/ndiswrapper-1.27/driver'
    Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.stk16/build;
    give the path to kernel build directory with
    KBUILD=<path> argument to make
    make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ndiswrapper-1.27/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    To see what would happen, I entered my old kernel directory using the argument syntax listed in the error, but I still get the warning... what am I doing wrong? Also, to reconfigure GRUB (both kernels now show up), do I just delete the old kernel, after everything is stable and working etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by INL
    I've gotten the .rpm file... but how do I update my kernel with that?

EDIT: Okay, I think I've gotten the new kernel configured correctly... I unzipped it, typed rpm -ihv <directory>, then double clicked on the rpm file, and rebooted. BUT... when I try to install ndiswrapper, I get an error:

To see what would happen, I entered my old kernel directory using the argument syntax listed in the error, but I still get the warning... what am I doing wrong? Also, to reconfigure GRUB (both kernels now show up), do I just delete the old kernel, after everything is stable and working etc.?
    You probably just need to install kernel-devel.
    If you machine is connected to the Internet, use yum to install it
    yum install kernel-devel
    Just make sure it matches your current kernel version, use uname -r to find your version.
    And you don't need to delete the old kernel just yet, keep it around in case something goes wrong, so you still have a working kernel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast