Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Edgy, and my housemate is running XP. We both connect to the home hub wirelessly. (A cover all bases media connection system by BT in the UK, It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy, Windows XP, Linsys wusb54g v4 & BTHomeHub - Dropping Connection!

I'm running Edgy, and my housemate is running XP.
    We both connect to the home hub wirelessly. (A cover all bases media connection system by BT in the UK, It serves home phone, wireless broadband, Internet phone, and soon VOD)

Every 30 mins or so (but not a set time each time, and not necessarily when the connection is idle) the connection gets dropped, its ok for me as all I have to do is unplug my Linksys WUSB54G and plug it back in again and were back up.
    But he has to reinstall his Belkin Wireless G USB on his machine every time. And it doesnt take on his machine until i cycle my machine or cycle my USB adaptor.

However, none of this happens when we both are Running XP!

So my Theory is that somewhere along the line, Ubuntu is placing the home hub (which also runs on Linux) into standby, and reserving it for itself. So the windows machine can't even see it.

Help please? I don't want to go back to m$

Just Joined!
    Have come up with a rather ingenious work around until Ubuntu sort this fault out. Altho it does involve windows in some way.

I dug out an old laptop (Cel 1ghz, 256mb Ram), connected the wireless adaptor to that, and set it to share connection. Connected it to my Linux box via Crossover cable, and hey presto, No Dropouts!

I know it's not ideal, but hey, I can also use the Laptop to do my MS IC3 course