Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I'm a newbie with linux, and i just did a complete wipe an install of opensuse 10.2 on a dell latitude 110L. The wireless card pick's up and when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Not Activating Connection

Hi,

I'm a newbie with linux, and i just did a complete wipe an install of opensuse 10.2 on a dell latitude 110L. The wireless card pick's up and when i go in yast and configure it, it doesn't activate. I tryed ndiswrapper and installed different driver from there site and still no luck.

Thanks,
    X

Just Joined!
    What wireless card?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cks
    Hi,

I'm a newbie with linux, and i just did a complete wipe an install of opensuse 10.2 on a dell latitude 110L. The wireless card pick's up and when i go in yast and configure it, it doesn't activate. I tryed ndiswrapper and installed different driver from there site and still no luck.

Thanks,
    X
    Try you wireless tools first. In terminal type "iwconfig wlan0". Scan for wireless networks with "iwlist wlan0 scan". My first recommendation.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok,

When I go into yast, it says its a Dell BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller.
    When I go into the terminal and type "iwconfig wlan0" it says no such device. When I type "iwlist wlan0 scan" it says Interface doesnt support scanning.
    I have tryed other drivers with ndiswrapper and it says they installed and its on this device, but when i got to yast delete the one it installed and try to reinstall it, it doesn't show the wireless card anymore.

Thanks for the help.
    X

Just Joined!
    To give little more info about the problem. When i install the driver via ndiswrapper and run "ndiswrapper -l" it shows....
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:431 present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
    bcmwl5a : driver installed

-no matter what i do it wont see my wireless network.
    any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cks
    To give little more info about the problem. When i install the driver via ndiswrapper and run "ndiswrapper -l" it shows....
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    bcmwl5a : driver installed

-no matter what i do it wont see my wireless network.
    any ideas?
    Have you done modprobe ndiswrapper?
    Try other drivers?
    "rmmod bcm43xx" also, this should unload the alternate driver (which you don't want)...
    Tried setting ESSID?

Just Joined!
    i did the modprobe, not sure how i would load the bcmxx cause it doesn't have a .inf - im prolly just a newbie can you explain in little more detail? >< is there something i have to do for the irq for it or something. when i go into kNetworkManager and try to readd the wireless and i click wireless from drop down but it doesn't show the driver i loaded in ndiswrapper. i also have tryed using wifimanager and in the config editor i click the button to activate the wireless it says it failed to re-enable the device.

thanks for the advice

ps
    keep it detailed please

you should also try from yast
    network devices->network card->edit->detailed settings->advanced->hardware details->module name
    and specify as module name "ndiswrapper"
    also your wireless card does not have to be "wlan0"
    mine is specified as "eth1"
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    I had a feeling about the wlan0, but i tryed what you said and it says "bcm43xx". is that what it should say? or should say "ndiswrapper"?

thanks
    x

I am using a linksys adapter, the configuration might be different. I use as a module name "ndiswrapper". Anyway look at the sticky post, it contains info about your card.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast