Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Ok, so I just bought a D-Link DWL-G122 USB wireless adapter, because I heard that it works with linux. I have read through some of the NDISWrapper stuff, and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can pluging usb in cause problems?

Ok, so I just bought a D-Link DWL-G122 USB wireless adapter, because I heard that it works with linux. I have read through some of the NDISWrapper stuff, and it seems like I would be able to get it to work that way, but it might be a lot of work. I was mainly wondering, are there any possible problems that could be caused by me simply plugging the USB drive into my linux computer in hopes that by some miracle it will work? The thing has stickers all over it that say not to plug it in untill I put the cd in, so I was wondering if anything bad could happen if I ignored those warnings. Also, I don't have internet on the computers I am trying to use the USB adapter for (using Windows now, so if this ends mid scentence, it is because Windows finally drove me crazy and I am being hauled away to the mental institution), so looking at the NDISWrapper Installation guide, it seems like it would be a little tough, so I was wondering if there is any easier way (or simpler NDISWrapper tutorial)?

Linux Newbie
    So you have a wireless USB adaptor and you want to use it in Linux but you dont want to plug it in case it all screws up?
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Nothing is going to happen, just plug it in, and go through the ndiswrapper setup.
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Thank you very much for showing me ndiswrapper! It was an answer to a very long running question! However, is it possible to intergrate this with a distro like Backtrack 2?

Thanks,
    Tim

Just Joined!
    Thanks. Sorry for the late reply, the email alert system apparently wasn't working very well, so I did not know people had replied yet. I will go plug it in now and try to get it working, so I will probably be back with more questions later.
    Thanks again.

Linux Newbie
    Thats the spirit lol! Have fun!

Tim

Exclamation USB Plug-in

Funnily enough, when I have certain USB devs plugged in at boot, my machine hangs, until I remove the device. But of course I've already posted this elsewhere...

Sorry for duplication.

Linux Newbie
    Its not duplication! Its just...em...maximising the chance that your query will be answered lol. Its all in the master plan

Just Joined!
    Wow, I just read that sig quote that says

Computers are like Air Conditioners, they do not work well with Windows open.

Thank you for putting that in your signature. I love it. Whoever came up with that is my hero. I have been laughing for quite some time now, that quote made my day.
    So thank you.

Linux Newbie
    Yea, I found it quite funny as well. Did you know that copying is the greatest form of compliment? So I guess that means that copying hi signature is ok then?! lol

Tim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast