Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok. hi. Well, I just bought myself a new laptop, its a Gateway MT3705 or something, not sure if it matters but I'll say it anyway. It had Vista on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless trouble w/ndiswrapper...

Ok. hi. Well, I just bought myself a new laptop, its a Gateway MT3705 or something, not sure if it matters but I'll say it anyway. It had Vista on it (yuk), so I set it up to dual-boot with Slackware 11.0. That's all working fine, except I don't have wireless internet access on linux. The card that came with the laptop is Realtek 8185. I downloaded ndiswrapper 1.37 and the newest windows version of the realtek driver, compiled ndiswrapper, set it up etc. It shows that the driver is loaded and hardware is present. I ran 'modprobe ndiswrapper' and now I have a wlan0 in iwconfig So I thought everything was going great. But what do I do now? I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step, because 'iwlist wlan0 scan' shows no results. I also tried 'iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_ESSID' then 'iwlist wlan0 scan', still no results. I've been searching through forums etc. but havent found anything so I decided to post. I really hope its some stupid little thing that I havent done because this is only my second time using ndiswrapper. Please lead me in the right direction if you can! Thanks in advance.

As root, open /etc/network/interfaces with the text editor of your choice and add the following after the first 2 lines.

Code:
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid youressid
    wireless-key s:yourkey

auto eth1
    Then run this is console
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    It should load, make sure you've modprobe'd ndiswrapper beforehand, and I'd recommend getting a good wireless utility to give you statistics and stuff.
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your quick reply!
    There's no file named /etc/network/interfaces because I'm on slackware.
    Any other suggestions?