Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Have you got this adaptor to work yet?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 33.33%
  • No

3 33.33%
  • Almost

3 33.33%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Any more luck guys?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Any more luck guys?
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

No change Tim, it looks like it'll be a while before there's an update. Still waiting on Knoppix 5.2.1.

Martin
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

There is still hope! When I stumbled on this thread I was searching for a way to get my Belkin wireless G USB Network Adapter working in Fedora.

First I tried in Fedora Core 6>no luck.

Second try was in Fedora 7 on a older lower spec machine with only USB 1.xx ports>working but would drop the connection within <30 minutes and was painfully slow and caused lockups.

Third try with Fedora 7 on a newer box USB 2.0 ports and it has been 2 hours of web browsing with little effort to connect to my wireless network. . Currently posting this "wirelessly" from the desktop box.

OK I know you are interested in "How" so let me trouble you no further.
    Here's the specs from the Belkin adapter it is part # F5D7050 and there was a sticker on the packaging above the upc code that read "version 3000" and when I put the install disc into my cd reader to browse it had the "rt73" files in the "drivers" directory. I didn't use those files but only to confirm which download I would need from this site:

SerialMonkey

I went to the "downloads" page after a bit of reading and grabbed the "rt73 (USB) rt73-CVS tarball" unpacked it in my home directory, checked out the "readme". Followed the instructions(for the 3rd time now) done the "make" and as root "make install" opened another terminal and entered as root "# modprobe rt73" no errors showed just went back to the blinking cursor at the root symbol.

Then I shutdown the computer, plugged in the Belkin USB adapter after unplugging my ethernet cable. Restarted and was watching impatiently for Belkins little green eye to wink at me and it did somewhere between "looking for new hardware" and "starting networking".

I didn't want to get too excited as I was let down too many times before
    The "NetworkManager" was just sitting there silently/dumbly in the bottom rt corner of the desktop. I was almost reluctant to click on it but when I did there was my wireless network listed.

When I selected it I was asked for my passphrase and then to create a "keyring". Then a network connection was made and I fired up Swiftfox and it connected straight up and it's been over 2 hours without a hitch(keeping fingers crossed for good luck).

Any questions feel free to ask.

Here's my present kernel:
    2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 #1 SMP Tue Jun 12 15:37:31 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

No "edit" button available in the above post of mine so here's an update;

1. Belkin USB adapter still working fine.
    2. You do not need to have "Network Manager" running, so I have disabled it.
    3. The SerialMonkey site had a network setup utility called "RutilT WLAN Manager" that has a graphical user interface(gui) that is pretty intuitive to use.
    4. There is an icon for my desktop panel that gives an indication whether you have a connection or not. If you place your cursor over it info about your wireless is displayed.

Second try was in Fedora 7 on a older lower spec machine with only USB 1.xx ports>working but would drop the connection within <30 minutes and was painfully slow and caused lockups.
    This part was solved by going back to this Fedora 7 machine and going to "services" and unticking/disabling Network Manager and wpa_supplicant from starting and also moved the usb adapter a little closer to the AP. The wlan manager (Rutilt) is in the "green" "link quality:100&#37;" but "signal level: -30dBm" not sure if that good but thinking it may be on the low side?

Thumbs up New Belkin device update info

Ok now that I had so much fun searching and figuring out how to get the Belkin wireless g usb with the "rt73" chip going I went and purchased another of the rascals.

Here's an excerpt of my "Belkin USB Diary"

I've been down this "rt73 road" and have had varying results on several different Fedora installs using a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter.

I have recently picked up another Belkin usb wireless adapter and this one did not have the "rt73 chip" and I thought "oh crap, here I go again chasing down drivers". Well I started searching and found that the "zd1211" is already supported in the kernel and all I had to do was download 1 tarball,unpack it and copied the contents to a directory "/lib/firmware/zd1211",rebooted,logged in,plugged in the usb wireless device,window opened asking for "passphrase" entered it and I'm connected.

No disabling of Network Manager or screwing around with other stuff either. I have done the same to 3 computers now and they all work fine. I will be going to town shortly to purchase 3 more of these Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapters. The Belkin part # F5D7050 is somewhat generic but the upc sticker that has "ver. 4000" and the last seven digits "FB04747".

Here's a partial from the readme:
    This distribution contains the firmware files for the
    ZD1211 chip, which is used in WLAN USB sticks. Copy these files to
    /lib/firmware/zd1211, where it can be loaded by the rewritten
    zd1211 driver.

The files are generated from C header files distributed in the
    original ZyDAS ZD1211 driver under the GNU Public License.
    Here's a link to the driver ZD1211rw

Linux Newbie
    Sweet man, thanks for all the info! I'm probably going to wait for the next release of Ubuntu / KUbuntu before I try it again - It stresses me too much lol
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Just Joined!

Ubuntu - 'just works'

Hi
    Loaded Ubunto Feisty Fawn (off the front of a mag) and the thing picked up my Belkin USB no problem, really quickly. It continues to do so and is generally speaking much faster than Windoze.
    I'm still struggling with getting the Belkin to work with SuSE 10.2. It's a bit frustrating as the driver Ubuntu is using is zd1211rw which is included in the SuSE kernel, but specifying this in YAST set up simply doesn't work. For a while I was able to get ndiswrapper operational, but a kernel upgrade stuffed that (boot loader location problems which I now thiunk I've cracked). My next plan is to reload a 'clean' 10.2 (loading ndiswrapper does odd things, apparently) and startting all over again.

Sigh.

I'll keep y'all posted

At long last I have this working! I had a disk of LinuxMint from a magazine I bought a few months ago but couldn't use as the laptop didn't have enough RAM. Yesterday I got the money together to upgrade the RAM from 256 to 768 and Mint runs on it now.

I've installed it and am using it right now, there's a great GUI tool for setting up the wireless but you must first copy the .inf files to your home directory otherwise it won't be picked up, but once you do that, connect the device, run the wireless utility and you're good to go!

The verison I have is Linuxmint 2.2 Bianca, it does have a bug or two, particulary involving the screensaver but other than that it's a nice distro, based on Ubuntu.

How much RAM on your laptop Tim? You need at least 512.

Martin

Update: I'm now using LinuxMint Celena 3.1, it's even nicer but you need to have the wireless and LAN both connected on start up, then once the web browser is open and in use, pull out the LAN lead and the connection jumps to the wireless.

The bug in the screensaver still exists but is not really an issue.

Martin

I am still happily wirelessly connected with the Belkin Wireless G usb network adapter ver. 4000 with the zydas chipset. It has been working on 2 of my Fedora 7 installs and also with 2 Fedora 8 Test 3 installs. I now have 4 of the ver.4000 adapters used for home networking.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast