Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Have you got this adaptor to work yet?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 33.33%
  • No

3 33.33%
  • Almost

3 33.33%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
I found an alternative to ndiswrapper. Mabey we could see what changes it makes and they try and imitate them with ndiswrapper? http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/ It says that "DriverLoader works with almost ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I found an alternative to ndiswrapper. Mabey we could see what changes it makes and they try and imitate them with ndiswrapper?

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

It says that "DriverLoader works with almost all Cardbus and PCI Wireless LAN devices, and many USB adapters" so I'm going to give it a try.

I found this very interesting post online (17th Jan 2007 it was posted)

I bought a Belkin wireless USB adaptor capable of going at wireless 54g speeds a few months ago. It seems to use a Ralink chipset, and to get it to work, I had to check the source out of CVS from a Sourceforge project and compile it, but it runs absolutely stably (over weeks of time). The only other shortcoming is that its wireless extension support is less than version 18, so WPA won’t work, but WEP works perfectly.

Here is the link to the website that came off:

http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalin...-actually-buy/

Tim
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-11-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Color tags
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Hi Tim,

I gave Driverloader a try, spent an hour and a half working on it....same problem, the driver files don't work with it. Unfortunately another dead-end.

Martin
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Newbie
    This really isn't fun is it?!

Did you see the bit about the Ralink chipset? I wonder if we could use driver or whatnot from that? I would be trying them but my PC officially hates Linux and I have o get a job to finish the one I'm building (I need around £60 to finish). I'll keep looking for information especially regarding the Ralink chipset.

Martin, when you try and use ndiswrapper does the little green light come on at all?

Tim

P.s. If ANYONE has got this USB adaptor working (or even half working) please leave a post!!!

Just Joined!
    Hm I got the same trouble.
    The only way I got it to work is to manipulate the linux driver from Ralink Tec. But then it's only working unencrypted. I also noticed that the computer randomly crashes after a short time. I don't know if someone is killing me from outside, or the manipulated driver causes the crashes. The problem is I don't get any log stuff to figure out whats going on.

I will try the driverloader for now. Maybe this works better. If someone wants to have the modified driver, just ask me

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypfvieh
    Hm I got the same trouble.
    The only way I got it to work is to manipulate the linux driver from Ralink Tec. But then it's only working unencrypted. I also noticed that the computer randomly crashes after a short time. I don't know if someone is killing me from outside, or the manipulated driver causes the crashes. The problem is I don't get any log stuff to figure out whats going on.

I will try the driverloader for now. Maybe this works better. If someone wants to have the modified driver, just ask me
    Eh YES!!!!! Could you send it over MSN / Email? I take it that Belkin are just an awkard bunch of people then lol.

Is it not possible at all to make a compatable driver? IS there anywhere on this forum where you can request a driver?

Tim

Hi again Tim,

All Belkin told me was what driver files the adaptor uses but they don't even make a Mac driver so they're in no hurry to organise one for Linux.

What we need to do Tim is find out if anyone out there has written Linux drivers yet for this device. This will happen in time as I have a DVB card in my main PC that one year ago would not work with anthing other than Windows but now almost all current distros have a suitable driver included, so I believe that if no driver is available right now, there will be in the near future.

Martin

Just Joined!
    Sorry but I can't find the modified sourcecodes again (horrible chaos on my hdd).

But I think I'm pretty close to get it to work.
    I get a connection with my access point encrypted with WEP but as soon as I disconnect the cable from the ethernet card, the wlan connection is not usable anymore. The AP says there is a connection, but I cannot ping it or anything like that.

What I have done so far:
    Upgraded my Kernel to 2.6.19 (I'm using Gentoo Linux).
    Downloaded and compile the driver from
    http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/...itle=Downloads
    (My card has a rt2571 chip aka rt73)
    Loaded the module with modprobe and used iwconfig to configure the wlan device.
    Everything seems fine except the things mentioned above.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I have same problem with the Belkin adapter as you guys. Luckily, I have solved it. Kindly refer to this link as below:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d=1#post446324

Have a nice try

Hi wahaha,

when I try here's what I get;

linux:/home/martin # ndiswrapper -i /home/martin/BLKWGU.inf
    blkwgu is already installed. Use -e to remove it
    linux:/home/martin # ndiswrapper -i
    Usage: ndiswrapper OPTION

Manage ndis drivers for ndiswrapper.
    -i inffile Install driver described by 'inffile'
    -d devid driver Use installed 'driver' for 'devid'
    -e driver Remove 'driver'
    -l List installed drivers
    -m Write configuration for modprobe
    -hotplug (Re)Generate hotplug information

where 'devid' is either PCIID or USBID of the form XXXX:XXXX
    linux:/home/martin #
    linux:/home/martin # modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.13-15.15-default/extra/ndiswrapper.ko): Operation not permitted
    linux:/home/martin # modprobe ndiswrapper

I've no idea what its telling me here but you can see the driver appears to be already installed but it says that with any driver I try.

I'm using ndiswrapper 1.1-4 as that's all seems to be available for SuSe.

Martin

Just Joined!
    how about you go to download the latest version 1.3.8 and also when you type "ndiswrapper -l", is that got show hardware present ???

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast