Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry that this is a very stupid question, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I am trying to find the drivers that I need for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Finding drivers from .inf file

Sorry that this is a very stupid question, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.
    I am trying to find the drivers that I need for my D-Link DWL-G122 USB wireless adapter, so what I did was I installed it on a windows computer I have, then found it's .sys file, then searched for the corresponding .inf file, wich is supposed to list all of the required drivers (I have been following these ( http://en.opensuse.org/Wireless_Netw...d_Installation ) instructions). Anyway, I have been pouring over this .inf file, and can't find for sure which files and drivers I need. The contents of the .inf can be found here ( http://steven.noyce.googlepages.com/usb55n5x ).
    I would like to know either what files I need or what to look for so I can find them. Thank you.

Did you get the drivers off of the adapter's cd?
    It's typically the best way to figure out this problem if you know for sure you have the right drivers.

Anyway, does the name of the .inf file you currently have match the name of the .sys file?

As long as they match the following steps should work. Put the .inf and .sys file in the same directory, and move them to your linux harddrive by whatever method you choose. (and keep them in the same directory, somewhere in your home folder)
    Then open a terminal (on the linux OS) and enter the command:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i /home/path/filename.inf
    this should install the driver (.sys file) along with the .inf file.

Next, if you use the command ndiswrapper, you should be able to check the status of the driver and the hardware. It will tell if the file is invalid and if it is valid, it will tell you if it detects the hardware.

I had to figure this out myself recently, so if anyone else notices a mistake, please correct me.