Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I have a D-Link DWL-520 which uses the RaLink RT61 chipset and I'm running Mandriva Linux 2007. A while ago I went through a lot of hassle getting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy System froze with dhclient, now doesn't connect.

Hi all

I have a D-Link DWL-520 which uses the RaLink RT61 chipset and I'm running Mandriva Linux 2007. A while ago I went through a lot of hassle getting it to work and after going through the read-me, an Ubuntu howto and the advice of another user on these forums (namelessone, who was a great help) and after that, I kind of got it to work. But not without big honking problems.

Once I have the modules loaded, I get no DHCP offers from the router and as the Ubuntu thread suggested, I got round this with iwpriv. One of my first problems was getting things to load on start-up. I copied all the modules files to where I should and edited all the right files, it just wouldn't load on boot so I wrote a small shell script and kept it in my home directory. Then I just ran it to connect to the internet.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/insmod /home/priest/Software/Hardware/RT61WirelessDriver/RT61_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rt61.ko
    /sbin/ifconfig ra0 up
    iwpriv ra0 set NetworkType=Infra
    iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=SHARED
    iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=WEP
    iwpriv ra0 set DefaultKeyID=1
    iwpriv ra0 set Key1=9b535*****
    iwpriv ra0 set SSID=sharpe
    dhclient ra0
    This used to connect to the internet fine but my system would always freeze. It froze completely and nothing would make any difference, I would have to forcibly turn the thing off (which I hate doing). Sometimes it would freeze as it was carrying out dhclient, sometimes it would be an hour afterwards. But it would always do it, and only once I'd connected to the net.

That's what it used to do, it doesn't anymore. But the same time it stopped freezing it stopped connecting to the net. The interface initiates as far as I know and it's not kicking back any errors at me, but it just won't connect. The little taskbar icon in the GUI shows the network symbol and a little green plus but it used to show that only for a minute, then change to a series of green bars which show your signal strength. Firefox won't load anything and there is no internet. I know the card works and it gets signal because it is working fine in my Windoze boot (although I can barely stomach to chose it on startup).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I'm really at my wits end and working wireless is the only thing between me and a deep, long lasting love for Linux. Plus, hitting that lovely "Format C:" button I've been aching to push.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anyone that can help at all?

I really hate having to reboot and load windows everytime I want to use the internet. Plus, after much editing of config files I have finally got TwinView and Beryl working now. So wireless internet is the only thing stopping me from having a perfect system.

I would really appreciate any assistance or insight anyone may have with this problem.