Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i actually emailed you this, but 'sudo modprobe ndiswrapper' gives me an error, and 'iwlist scan' shows no networks, so I have no idea. I've looked it up, but can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i actually emailed you this, but 'sudo modprobe ndiswrapper' gives me an error, and 'iwlist scan' shows no networks, so I have no idea. I've looked it up, but can't find anything. Well, if there's any other ideas you have let me know.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal_linux View Post
    Hey rasch15,

Kubuntu is pretty good at hardware detection, so if you have your card up and powered on, and it shows up as hardware you are doing good. If you are connecting to a wireless network say at home, where you know the essid and the password to connect, if required, you should click "System" on the menu bar at the top of your desktop, then "Administration", then "Networking". When it loads the list of network devices, if you have a WLAN card, or wireless card that shows up, click on the card, and then click "Configure" or "Properties". I can't remember which one is in Kubuntu, i am using Ubuntu. Then when it comes up, make sure the box is checked that says "Enable this connection", then you can type the essid name, which I think is case sensitive, so make sure to capitalise anything that is needed. Then select which key type, most are hexadecimal i think. The 3 networks that I connect to are. Then if you have a WEP key, or password to connect to it, type that in the appropriate box. If your wireless network uses DHCP, where you are automatically assigned an IP address, down below your essid and WEP key settings you should change "Configuration" to DHCP. If your machine has a static IP address, then enter your needed information. If you don't know what that means, then try DHCP first. If all goes ok, click "ok", and the network should reload itself, and take you back to the network settings where it shows your devices. Below your list of devices it MAY or MAY NOT say "Default gateway device" depending on your version of Kubuntu. If it does, change it to the wireless card, usually listed as wlan0 (thats a zero). Then click ok on the main network settings window, and the network will probably reload the network state. And you will know whether or not you can connect to your network.

If you are connecting to a network where you do not know the essid, like a public hotspot such as starbucks or barnes and noble, or some other, then you may need to use a utility such as "Wireless Assistant". It will scan for networks, and list them. and if you click the one you want and click connect, it will prompt you for a password if needed. Wireless Assistant should be under Applications, Internet from your Menu bar above your desktop. I am pretty sure it is installed by Kubuntu by default. If it is not, or you don't seem to have it, you can connect to the internet some other way, and go to Applications, Add/Remove software, and search for it, or go to System, Administration, Synaptic Package manager, and search for it. If you can install it that way it should help.

If you know your essid and the password if required, you can type it in in the network settings menu as I explained above.

If you don't know your settings, and need to scan, try wireless assistant. You may have to run wireless assistant as root. you can open a terminal and type "sudo wlassistant" to launch it, if you have it installed. You can also try other programs to scan for networks, that is just the one that I am familiar with.

I hope I could be of some help to you. Its frustrating if you are new to linux, and wireless support under linux is never usually easy.

Good luck, let me know if you need more info.

-Eric-
    When I clicked on system,I did not see any administration tab.What I see is "Desktop sharing,File manager etc upto Windows wireless devices".Which one should I select.Please help me as I am a linux new bie.And you told to click on the top.When I clicked on the top I am clicking on firefox and If I right click on the Desktop,I am seeing something else like Appearance settings.Please help me where I can view the Administration tab and hence networking as a result.Thanks for the same in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rahulmehta View Post
    When I clicked on system,I did not see any administration tab.What I see is "Desktop sharing,File manager etc upto Windows wireless devices".Which one should I select.Please help me as I am a linux new bie.And you told to click on the top.When I clicked on the top I am clicking on firefox and If I right click on the Desktop,I am seeing something else like Appearance settings.Please help me where I can view the Administration tab and hence networking as a result.Thanks for the same in advance.
    Welcome to the forums!

Sorry, but this thread is almost 3 years old and the person that you responded to hasn't logged in for the last 17 months, or so. Please feel free to start a new thread of your own outlining the details of any issues that you are having so that someone can help you.

Locking outdated thread...
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2