Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am planning on buying a new wireless card. I have tried a couple of cards before that didn't work in linux at all without NDISwrapper. I am hoping ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What wireless cards work out of the box?

Hello,

I am planning on buying a new wireless card. I have tried a couple of cards before that didn't work in linux at all without NDISwrapper. I am hoping to finally find one that just works. Could anyone please list cards that didn't require any hacking or work-arounds to set up on a desktop.

Thanks
    Rusty

1) Depends on distro
    2) Take a look at http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...-card-buy.html
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Like Vergil said, it does really depend what distribution you are using.

But to get you started, I'm currently using Ubuntu, and my Linksys WMP54G wireless pci worked out of the box, well the green light came on and starting flashing in my eye, but I'm still having a problem connecting, it's not that the card isn't working, it's just I've never used Linux before.

Apparently Linksys are very open source friendly, so I hear. I'd let someone a little more knowledgeable clarify that though first.

If you are by coincidence using Ubuntu, this document got me started, and I was a utter newbie. There plenty of other cards that work too, not out of the box, but if you follow the instruction, it's pretty striaght forward. I've got a Netgear WPN111 USB adapter, and I got that working with Ndiswrapper.

Good Luck.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Smile Which wifi cards work out of the box?

I use Mandriva 2007 and found that the MSI CB54G2 (PCMCIA) card worked straight out of the box with the boxed edition of Mandriva.

The free download version requires a driver downloaded from the net.

It works well at 54mb.

Tony Littlejohn

Just Joined!

WIFI Cards with an Atheros Chipset

usually work out of the box with Linux.
    I have a D-Link DWL-G520 (Version B) and it works fine with Ubuntu, Puppy Linux, and PCLOS 2007. It uses the madwifi driver in Linux.