Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i am knew to linux and as well to theise forums. I installed a triple boot system on my notebook with winxp/vista/ubuntu 6.10 last night and i am having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Broadcom 802.11g (help)

Hi i am knew to linux and as well to theise forums.
    I installed a triple boot system on my notebook with winxp/vista/ubuntu 6.10 last night and i am having an issue with my wireless card. The issue being that i cant connect to the internet. I have been doing quite some reading around the net and thies forums to try and aid me in my endeavor. And as your reading this i am still reseaching this issue. so far all i have done is download ndiswrapper and the driver to my card, on the windows protion of my laptop. i as of yet attempted to work with ndiswrapper on linux for the simple fact that i am scared of doing somthing i will regret. Basically i am asking for help.(like the noob i am )
    please assist.

Don't worry, on ubuntu best thing to do is download the packages you need from the repository, on XP obviously because you don't have internet.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/misc...pper-utils-1.8
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/misc/ndiswrapper-common

Select your system architecture from below (probably i386) and download it from one of the mirrors. Then install it. You should have a package manager in Nautilus (I think that's the name) to install the .deb files.

When that's done, in terminal run

ndiswrapper

If that works, you're ready for the next stage of training.
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen
    Don't worry, on ubuntu best thing to do is download the packages you need from the repository, on XP obviously because you don't have internet.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/misc...pper-utils-1.8
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/misc/ndiswrapper-common

Select your system architecture from below (probably i386) and download it from one of the mirrors. Then install it. You should have a package manager in Nautilus (I think that's the name) to install the .deb files.

When that's done, in terminal run

ndiswrapper

If that works, you're ready for the next stage of training.
    Hi, Oxygen

Thanks for the info the link you provided was an easy install package. unfortunately i had already gone throw the process of installing it manually.
    But non the less i took the package provided and installed it anyways. before i read this message from you i was reading there tut on installing the driver. im still kinda confuse so im making sure i read it atlest 3 times to make sure i understand. thanks for the info it was truly appreciated.(although i wish i would have spot it sooner.)
    Oh and im using amd64.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

omg when i try to install the driver is says its installed already and to "-e" to remove it. but when i try to remove it it says its not there use "-i" to install it!
    what do i do

Quote Originally Posted by cface
    Oh and im using amd64.
    That makes it a bit more complicated. Most drivers are made for 32 bits environments.

Quote Originally Posted by cface
    omg when i try to install the driver is says its installed already and to "-e" to remove it. but when i try to remove it it says its not there use "-i" to install it!
    what do i do
    Does
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    list anything ?

What is your exact chipset model?
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i broadcom
    Also, keep in mind that using NDISWRAPPER for Broadcom wireless chipsets is not the recommended way to proceed.

Here is the official instructions for broadcom chipsets:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...r/bcm43xx/Edgy
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    ndiswrapper -l shows me this
    Code:
    Installed drivers:
    bcmwl5 invalid driver!
    The model
    Code:
    network controller: broadcom corporation unknown device 4311 (rev 01)
    Thank you for the link ill have a me a look.

Just Joined!
    i tried the method form the link that antidrugue provided but when i get to step 4 i get this junk:
    Code:
    linux@linux-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/bcmwl5.sys
    bcm43xx-fwcutter can cut the firmware out of /home/linux/Desktop/bcmwl5.sys

filename :  bcmwl5.sys
      version  :  3.70.22.0
      MD5      :  185a6dc6d655dc31c0b228cc94fb99ac

extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
    *****: Sorry, it's not possible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw".
    *****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
    *****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.
    *****: But this can be added in the future...
    *****: Sorry, it's not possible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode13.fw".
    *****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
    *****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.
    *****: But this can be added in the future...
    extracting bcm43xx_pcm4.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_pcm5.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval01.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval02.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval03.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval04.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval05.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval06.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval07.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval08.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval09.fw ...
    extracting bcm43xx_initval10.fw ...
    linux@linux-laptop:~$
    Edit:and it seems that it dose not work.
    also when i get to step 4b i think i input the wrong stuff and it dose noting since it cant find the file.
    It seems like its not my driver.... i will try another one see if i get any success.
    Edit: i tryed the one that worked for me in windows xp and this is what i get -.-'

Code:
    linux@linux-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/bcmwl5.sys
    Extracting firmware from this file is IMPOSSIBLE. (e.g. too old/new)
    Edit: at this point i am at a stand still on this issue. i will give it a brake for now and try to deal with my other driver issue i am having.(sound card) hopefully this issue can be corrected quickly and i can return to the wifi.