Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks for the replies, I just used up a rainy afternoon re-installing Windows and then getting Kubuntu to co-exist with it. Had to do it that way as I'd killed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wink One step at a time

Thanks for the replies, I just used up a rainy afternoon re-installing Windows and then getting Kubuntu to co-exist with it. Had to do it that way as I'd killed the Kubuntu installation before I worked out what had happened to Windows. Next will be to try the wireless setup but that's for another time - I'm chef tonight !
    Thanks again,
    Ross

Just Joined!

Thumbs down Humph!

Well I thought as Kubuntu seemed to work well on my IDE drive I'd put it on the SATA drive I usually use - big mistake, GRUB stage 1.5 hard disk error wouldn't boot Kubuntu or Windows, tried to fix it to boot Windows and blew away the system partition info. Got it back eventually, cloned it to the IDE drive (to get all my software, emails etc onto the IDE) and reinstalled Kubuntu from full DVD image (not CD as before).

Tried the ndiswrapper thing but although there were no complaints about the kernel files this time there were loads of other errors which seemed to come from missing .h files - guess what, Kubuntu doesn't include developer tools on the distro so you have to download them later (over the non-functioning wireless network you're trying to fix I suppose !!!???!!!).

So tried the system move to connect to the router through wet string idea - plugged in ok but would it see any Ethernet adapter - of course not ! Even tried a PCI Ethernet card I had around but still no joy.

My next move is to wait for a distro which will :

a) Provide me with a working wireless network.
    b) work with my printer (Epson Aculaser C900) which Kubuntu 7.04 doesn't.
    c) work with my HP Scanjet 5100C scanner which Kubuntu 7.04 doesn't.

I'm not holding my breath,
    Ross

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2