Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just installed Ubuntu and hope to use it for my main OS. There's just one problem...: I NEED the internet to get working. I do have a router, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Setting up a wireless network on Ubuntu.

I've just installed Ubuntu and hope to use it for my main OS. There's just one problem...: I NEED the internet to get working. I do have a router, and my laptop does have wireless capabilities. I was reading another thread, and it said to tell you the output of this code:
    lscpi | grep -1 network

and I got this:

06:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN controller (rev 02)

I honestly have NO idea what that means. If anyone would give me ANY help on setting a wireless network up, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I don't know if Ubuntu has ndiswrapper installed by default, type ndiswrapper in the command line and check. If you get output check this How To Install Your Broadcom BCM4318 Using Ndiswrapper - FedoraNEWS.ORG

It's Fedora but you can follow the guide from the ndiswrapper part, and tell us what happened
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    It said I couldn't save the file /etc/yum.conf because I don't have the permissions necessary to save the file. I am the only user on this computer, so I don't know why this is happening.

I said you should follow the guide AFTER the yum part, it is Fedora specific. FROM THE NDISWRAPPER PART, instead of typinh the command alone, put sudo before. Instead of
    /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    use
    sudo /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo View Post
    use sudo /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    I just tried that, but it said the command was not found.

Whoops, I had bcmwl/inf not .inf, my bad

And it still can't find the command.

Just Joined!
    Can someone please help me?

I wrote this, I wrote it when I was in the same position as you, hopefully it'll be of use:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lan-linux.html
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?