Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to develop a usb wireless lan card driver on a usb microcontroller platform. but i don't know how to do it, and using which usb wireless lan card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question ask for help on developing wireless lan card driver !

i want to develop a usb wireless lan card driver on a usb microcontroller platform. but i don't know how to do it, and using which usb wireless lan card i can develop a driver easilly. or is there any open source usb wireless lan card driver that i can port to my microcontroller ?
    i'm appreciate it if anybody could help me !
    thanks !

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Hi,
    I have the same problem like you. I have an embedded device with USB port, based on Atmel's AT MEGA 2560 microcontroler and I need to write driver for USB WLAN module, which is supposed to work together with my device. I have already found some useful links like this:
    Usb Device Drivers
    Writing a Simple USB Driver | Linux Journal

I decided to build my application on libusb projekt, like here:
    Writing a Real Driver—In User Space

But I need to get some information about communication between USB and WLAN adapter. Some communication protocol. My wlan device is ASUS wl-161 based on SiS 162u chipset, which is not well documented. Have you found something?
    Vita

Just Joined!
    Hi, Vita!
    There is hardly an existing solution on internet. The links you provided can not directly help us, since they are OS dependent and it's not possible to run a linux-like OS on avr microcontrollers . The only help to us is we can make a better understanding of open source wlan adapter drivers under linux, which i think probably can be ported to our devices. As far as I know, none wlan adapter chipset has detailed documents, or at least we can not get them on websites. So the only way I can think out is to reference the existing linux driver and try to port it. That is what i'm doing. You can find an open source driver for "SiS 162u" chipset, otherwise change to another chipset if possible. BTW, my adapter is based on rt2571w chipset and the microcontroller is at90usb1287.
    Hope keeping touch with you and getting more information from you.
    Good luck !

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahohoo View Post
    Hi, Vita!
    There is hardly an existing solution on internet. The links you provided can not directly help us, since they are OS dependent and it's not possible to run a linux-like OS on avr microcontrollers . The only help to us is we can make a better understanding of open source wlan adapter drivers under linux, which i think probably can be ported to our devices. As far as I know, none wlan adapter chipset has detailed documents, or at least we can not get them on websites. So the only way I can think out is to reference the existing linux driver and try to port it. That is what i'm doing. You can find an open source driver for "SiS 162u" chipset, otherwise change to another chipset if possible. BTW, my adapter is based on rt2571w chipset and the microcontroller is at90usb1287.
    Hope keeping touch with you and getting more information from you.
    Good luck !
    My friend is developing libraries like libusb for embedded systems, with no OS needed. He promised to send me the source code, but It is still not finished. So I'am using libusb for now.

Just Joined!
    Hello!
    There is no respond from you for a long time. How are you getting on with implementing the wlan driver? I am completely done with tcp/ip communication. It was not so difficult. I simply changed some parts of Adam Dunkel's uIP tcp/ip stack. Now I am starting with the driver.