Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone recommend a good Linux-compatible wireless network interface? Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What's a good wireless NIC?

Can anyone recommend a good Linux-compatible wireless network interface? Thanks.

Anything with an Atheros chipset should be supported by madwifi.
    And a broadcomm 43xx chipset is supported natively by the linux kernel.
    Not the pci-e version though.
    It has more to do with the distribution that you are using than which card you get.
    Ubuntu, Mepis and Sabayon I have found have good wireless support, among others.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I bought one of these cheap USB wifi sticks a while ago. Support was included in 2.6.20 kernels for it, and I have it working great now (but I use my built-in broadcom wireless normally).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    To Roxoff,
    I would very much appreciate your help.
    I have been looking over several of these forums, and I really haven't found an answer yet. I have attempted to load 3 different versions of Linux. Everytime I do load them, none of them are able access the internet. If everyone claims that Linux is so much better than Windows, why do I have an easier time finding and connecting to wireless networks in Windows, and I can't see or even connect in Linux. In fact, at one point, I had a connection, but still wouldn't pull up on FireFox.
    So basically I am asking for your help. I need to find a way for Linux to find my wireless network (WEP), and connect. THEN be able to bring it up in FireFox.
    In all honesty, I am looking to (once I get connected) run a WEP crack program. I have several of the programs needed, I just need to test and run them to make sure they can run successfully.
    I have a HP dv2020us laptop.
    If I need to purchase a wireless card (usb or other), please let me know.
    I am at a loss at the moment.

I have loaded, Linux, Linux FreeSpire, and now Linux Suse 10.1

Thank you in advance.

Why on earth would you want to run WEP cracking programs? Cant you get on someone's unprotected wireless lan or out through an open access point?

There is a policy on these forums not to assist with, or even to discuss topics that are of an illegal nature. While breaking a WEP encryption might not be illegal, it's not normally done just for internet access.

That said, you might have genuine reasons - so I'll point you in the right direction. As you have an HP laptop, you've probably got a built-in Broadcom wireless network card. The drivers you need for this come with 2.6.18 and later kernels, i.e. any newish distro. You'll need the bcm43xx-fwcutter tool to take the broadcom firmware out of the windows drivers (the naming of this package may vary but it'll be in your package manager somewhere). To find and access wireless networks, you should use NetworkManager, which (once you've used it) you will realise why wireless networking is much easier on Linux that Windows.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/