Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a Linksys WUSB300N, and I've installed Ubuntu.... The funniest part about this, is that I also purchased a book called 'Beginning Ubuntu Linux' and it says that, 'in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My Wireless Woes...

I've got a Linksys WUSB300N, and I've installed Ubuntu....

The funniest part about this, is that I also purchased a book called 'Beginning Ubuntu Linux' and it says that, 'in the past' a complaint people had with Linux was lack of driver support...(sorry, I'm not knocking Linux, I just wish people would be more upfront about potential issues).

I don't have an actual card I can plug into, I don't have a cat-5 cable, I don't have a floppy drive, but I do have a laptop running Windows so I can get online, but I'm not sure how I can get any files from here onto my computer that now has Ubuntu but no wireless support.

I'm running Ubunutu 6.10 - am I basically screwed?

I can format Ubuntu, create two partitions, reinstall Windows, have my wireless card work again, download the program that 'wraps' the window's drivers for my wireless card, reinstall Ubunut on the 2nd partition, and hope that Ubuntu will work if I 'wrap' the windows driver?

The easiest way to solve this problem in the future is to create a small fat32 partition so that you can transfer files between both OS's.
    Do you have a CD burner?
    A small handheld USB drive?
    If you are able, you might just consider downloading a LiveCD like SimplyMepis, Knoppix or Mandriva and hope it will support your card out of the box.
    You may or may not need NDISwrapper depending on which chipset the wireless card has.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

You didn't mention which type of Wireless card you have. In Ubuntu run
    Code:
    lspci |grep -i eth
    lspci |grep -i wireless
    lspci |grep -i internet
    and post back the results. I have found Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) to be the best distro I have ever used for wireless support. Post back the results above and we'll see what you can do.

Just Joined!
    Sorry guys - good news is that the laptop I have also has a CD burner! I had no idea (It's not my laptop, hehe).

So here's what I've tried so -

Viewing the available network devices, it showed no entry for my Wireless card. I went and installed NdisWrapper (1.
    I downloaded the XP drivers for my wireless card
    I did 'sudo ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf'
    I did 'sudo ndiswrapper -m'
    I did 'gksu gedit /etc/modules'
    I added 'ndiswrapper' on a new line
    I did a reboot

Ubuntu still does not see the wireless adapter when I go to Network Settings. If I do 'sudo ndiswrapper -l' it shows 'driver installed, hardware present'.

Did I mess up - or does this mean that, even with it wrapped, the drivers/card won't work for me?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Code:
    lspci |grep -i eth
    lspci |grep -i wireless
    lspci |grep -i internet
    and post back the results. I have found Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) to be the best distro I have ever used for wireless support. Post back the results above and we'll see what you can do.
    I'll give that a try - thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Code:
    lspci |grep -i eth
    lspci |grep -i wireless
    lspci |grep -i internet
    Both
    -i wireless
    -i internet

Showed nothing.

-i eth

Showed the name of my motherboard. I went and looked at the back of my computer - and sure enough, I have an onboard ethernet jack.

But no information about the wireless USB adapter

Just Joined!
    Don't know if it helps or not - but - the device/driver name I get when I do 'ndiswrapper -l' is 'netmw24b'

When I look at the 'info.linux.driver' for the wireless adapter in Device Manager - all it shows is 'usb'.

I figured it was silly, but I tried to add 'usb' to the modprobe blacklist. It didn't help.

Just Joined!
    Well, I feel pretty silly.

It turns out I was trying to wrap the Windows Vista drivers and not the Windows XP drivers.

Using the XP drivers - the wireless adapter now shows up in my Networking Config. but....it doesn't work. It doesn't see any wireless networks in the drop down list - and if I enter my ssid and my WEP network key; nothing happens.

I can't pull up any sites in FireFox - and I don't know any other sorts of network diagnostics stuff to try in Linux.

Can someone suggest what I should do next - or - could someone *please* provide a URL to a wireless usb adapter that I can purchase that will 'just work' with Ubuntu?

The cheaper the better, but I'm willing to spend some cash to get Linux up and running.

Have a look at this thread and try it from the command line, it usually works better.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tml#post470915
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Use the XP drivers, then run sudo modprobe ndiswrapper and it'll appear
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?