Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two wireless USB adapters - one is Wireless-N, one is Wireless-B. Neither work in Ubuntu, with or without ndiswrap. I have one PCI wireless-B that is not supported; ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I Give Up...

I have two wireless USB adapters - one is Wireless-N, one is Wireless-B. Neither work in Ubuntu, with or without ndiswrap.

I have one PCI wireless-B that is not supported; but, from what I can find on some web forms 'some' people have gotten it to work - but some others can't get WEP security working....and I'm not going to run completely unencrypted.

So I give up. I still want to run Ubuntu, I still want to run Linux - but I need to be able to get online for it to be worth my effort (I only have one PC, 95+% of my time on my PC is online).

I want to purchase a wireless card - PCI or USB - that was designed by the company who makes it, to run in Linux. I don't want to use some hack that adds an extra layer and subtracts from my CPU - and I don't want to use something someone else put together. I want to support a company who supports Linux. One that will say 'Linux' on the side of the box, next to where it says 'Windows 98,NT,XP'.

Does such a card exist?
    If so - can someone please provide a link?

Linux Enthusiast
    From what I know atheros cards seem to work well under Linux.
    I have two laptops at the moment (IBM T41, and Acer Aspire 5570z) with built-in atheros cards. Both work with Wireless-B router and have WEP (tested with Fedora 6 and Ubuntu Dapper and Feisty).

See if these links can help:
    Linux wireless LAN support http://linux-wless.passys.nl
    Compatibility - MadWifi - Trac

P.S. If I can suggest, do NOT get USB.

I have just recently been able to get my Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter working in Fedora 7. Went to "serialmonkey" site got my rt73 driver and a network setup utility and currently in "wireless heaven".

Check my recent post here for the "serialmonkey" link: Belkin

If you have one of the chipsets listed they will probably work for you.

I should add that I have a Sony laptop with an Atheros card that works with Fedora 7.

I don't want to use something someone else put together.
    So, I suppose you don't want to use Ubuntu or any Linux component at all since the whole OS was 'put together by someone'

Support from a company in Linux is hard to get, try something with an Atheros chipset. They should work just fine
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Just FWIW: some newer Atheros cards aren't supported properly, due to a stupid bug in ath_hal that will probably stay around for a while.