Find the answer to your Linux question:
There are now 3 mobile companies in Ireland offering Broadband via 3G mobile networks, Vodafone Ireland, 3 Ireland and O2 Ireland. They come with Windows and Mac drivers but the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

3G broadband modems becoming available in Ireland

There are now 3 mobile companies in Ireland offering Broadband via 3G mobile networks, Vodafone Ireland, 3 Ireland and O2 Ireland. They come with Windows and Mac drivers but the question I have is, has anyone made one of these USB devices work with Linux?

Martin
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

I'm glad you're asking/looking because I've been dying to know myself. You think they would have just used ethernet and be done with it

I want to get one for my mother because they don't have broadband in her area yet. Good priices on them and 3.5Mbps is pretty cool.

Hi BigTom,

Have these devices been sold outside Ireland? For our UK friends, here's a link to the O2 Ieland website showing the device: Broadband - Getting started - O2 - Services - O2 Broadband - Getting started

Would ndiswrapper do the job? Mind you, ndiswrapper can be a bit hit and miss.

Martin
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

The biggest hint for me so far was that Windows doesn't need drivers. On the other hand Mac does so I'm assuming that it's not something like an emulated Ethernet device. I am still interested. They do sell them in the UK as far as I am aware.