Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question installing webcam driver - which and how?

Hi forum,

I'm a brand new convert to linux, and am having a bit of trouble getting started...I've done a bit of searching in the forums for info on webcam drivers, and although I've found a lot of comments/hints/answers, I'm honestly having trouble understanding the process...

So...I keep finding recommendations for the following driver: Spca5xx (http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html)
    for use with my "Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Pro"

I'm running Suse 10.2 (kernel is apparently ver 2.6.18.2 - not sure exactly how to check that though...)

Suse RPMs for this driver are found at: http://home.scarlet.be/raoul.linux/rpm/webcam.html

but...the files for suse10.1 (kernel ver "2.6.16.*") exist but 10.2 has very few (rather unclear) files available.

Any comments/suggestions/more straight-forward ways of getting things working.
    (I'm willing to dive in and really learn some things about linux here - have C++ progamming background at least - but lacking guidance..)

-Van Y.

ps. - also the camera is usb and i'm using a sony pcg-v505EX laptop

I'm running Suse 10.2 (kernel is apparently ver 2.6.18.2 - not sure exactly how to check that though...)
    At Command Line enter uname -a.

Can't help with the webcam issues since I've never done it.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Webcam and linux

Please can you give me the name of your usb webcam.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

web cam in suse-10.2 works great

Quote Originally Posted by myidbe

Suse RPMs for this driver are found at: http://home.scarlet.be/raoul.linux/rpm/webcam.html

but...the files for suse10.1 (kernel ver "2.6.16.*") exist but 10.2 has very few (rather unclear) files available.
    The files on Raoul's site noted for SuSE-10.2, are what you need for SuSE-10.2. Don't let the small number (of files) fool you. I have a web cam installed on my SuSE-10.2, .... I used Raoul's packaged rpms, and installation was a breeze.

Note, in addition to the rpms on Raoul's site, I recommend you also install:
    - xawtv
    - libdv
    - tvcommon
    - pia
    - libraw
    - libavc1394
    - tv-fonts
    - libquicktime
    These rpms either come with your SuSE installation CD/DVD, or they are on Packman's site. I installed them using Smart Software Package manager.

Another app to consider (for your web cam) is "camstream". I use it for testing my web came video functions, and it has a nice simple gui. I find it works great (with the above apps) and my Phillips webcam, on SuSE-10.2.

SuSE-10.2 comes with kernel: 2.6.18.2-34-default

Just Joined!
    oldcpu,

1st, went about making sure all the packages you recommended were in order... (used the yast updating tool though..). After trying to install the three packages on Raoul's site though, suse gives me a dependancy error (the following..)
    Unresolved dependencies:
    Installing qc-usb-messenger-1.6-lotus.i586[Local packages]
    Installing gspcav1-20070110-lotus.i586[Local packages]
    There are no installable providers of kernel(drivers_media_video) == 9d5a1b6a5737ad85 for gspcav1-20070110-lotus.i586[Local packages]
    There are no installable providers of kernel(drivers_media_video) == 9d5a1b6a5737ad85 for qc-usb-messenger-1.6-lotus.i586[Local packages]

I do remember reading somewhere that someone had the problem of not having the "kernel source" downloaded...could that perhaps be my problem?

~van

ps. btw, despite the webcam thing, switching to linux has gone smoothly..and that these forums are here is just pretty dang cool...

Webcam

Sorry i didn't see the name of your webcam,
    did you try to compile the driver from the soource code?

i did and it works fine for me
    if you need more information just reply me.

hope this help

kernel-source

Quote Originally Posted by myidbe
    I do remember reading somewhere that someone had the problem of not having the "kernel source" downloaded...could that perhaps be my problem?
    I do not know. You could try.

I do know that I had kernel-source installed on both the SuSE-10.2 PCs (where I installed two different web cams) before I attempted to install the web cams. You could install the kernel-source and try again. But an important note, install it from your SuSE CD/DVD if you can (using YaST). The reason is the "kernel-source" file is enormous, and even with an ADSL2 link to the web, it will be an incredibly slow install. Installing this particular rpm off of your installation CD/DVDs is IMHO the best way to do it.

For the record, I have a Phillips 740 webcam installed on my SuSE-10.2 PC, and I installed an Intel PC Camera Pro web cam, on my mother's SuSE-10.2 PC.

Edit1: Also, before I installed the rpms off of Raoul's site, I installed the applications that I noted in my previous post.

Edit2: re:
    There are no installable providers of kernel(drivers_media_video)
    I am worried this could be a YaST problem, as opposed to not having the correct dependency. If kernel-source doesn't work, then you may wish to install the packages from a konsole with the rpm command, or even with kpackage or smart.

Edit3: The other possibility is you did an experimental kernel upgrade from the default kernel, and Raoul's packages are built specifically for the default kernel (and not an experimental kernel update).

qc-USB webcam install problems

Im having the same problem as discused above. Here is a link to the the error I get back.
    Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?
    V/R

qc Can CC

check some basics

I would like to confirm that you are doing some basic things correct. Please open a konsole and type:
    uname -a
    cat /etc/SuSE-release

Please post here the exact output you get.

-->
    Hello everyone !
    I am new to Linux operating system. I have installed SuSe Linux 10.0 on my home pc. I am having some problem in using my webcam on SuSe Linux 10.0. Please help me out.
    - I have A4tech PK-335 webcam. The system finds out that there is an USB webcam but when ever I am using the aMSN or gyach pY! messanger and try to make Video chat I have a error message like your device not configured. I think is because that I don't have any dirvers for my USB Webcam A4tech PK-335.
    Can anyone help me please? How to deal with this problem?
    sjc07.